Tuesday 13 February 2018

When a heart isn't a heart

Last month the Twofer Challenge gave us Feathers as a theme.  The challenge?  Make two cards using them in different ways.  Well this month we have Hearts.  Appropriate, I guess, since February is the big, filled-with-hearts-and-love month, right?  What really threw me for a loop was the fact that I don't seem to have much in the way of hearts.  And then I noticed the Lift Me Up stamp set and coordinating Up & Away Thinlits had the perfect heart.  Like they say, one is enough.

For my first card I decided to heat emboss the heart onto Sweet Sugarplum cardstock using white embossing powder.  I did that twice.  Then I cut both hearts out using the matching thinlit and put them aside while I created the rest of the card.  I began with a base of Heavy Whisper White, a layer of Sweet Sugarplum, and then another layer of Whisper White onto which I did my stamping and also attached my hearts.  For my stamping I mixed and matched a number of sets including the Lift Me Up set, High Tide set and You've Got This set.  Along with the White, my colours are Sweet Sugarplum, Pool Party, Black and Smoky Slate. 


For the second card I took a scrap of Whisper White and three colours of Distress Oxide inks, the Fossilized Amber, Worn Lipstick and Wilted Violet and proceeded to smoosh, spray, dry, and repeat again and again until I had a combination that appealed to me.  Then I cut out four hearts using the Up & Away heart thinlit and put them aside.  I used Heavy Whisper White for my base again but kept it simple this time.  Using a rounded stitched rectangle, I cut a piece of Whisper White and then heat embossed the sentiment from the Butterfly Basics sets onto it using Copper embossing powder.  Then I took the small body from the Watercolour Wings set as well as the antennae from the same set and stamped those onto the base as well as onto the smaller heat embossed piece.  After attaching the rounded rectangle onto the base using Dimensionals, I used small Dimensionals to attach a heart to each side of both bodies, creating two pretty butterflies.


As required by the Twofer rules, this is both cards photographed together.


My cards are, of course being entered into the Twofer Challenge


Card number one is also being entered into the 




Card number two is being entered into the following challenges:





19 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE both of these! Love that you turned the hearts into balloons, so appropriate for the sentiment on that card, and I love that you turned them into butterflies for the second card, again with a most appropriate sentiment! There are so many butterfly images and dies available, it's easy to forget this effective and clever trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful heart cards Heidi!! I love the combination of colours with your sugarplum hearts that are white embossed. The bright blue in the background really makes them pop! And your heart butterflies are BEAUTIFUL!! Love the smooshed colours and the CAS design. Thanks for joining us at Twofer Card Challenge and at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful and innovative cards.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful cards using those hearts. I love how you mixed the colors for the butterflies. They look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both fabulous, Heidi! Those sweet hearts make such lovely balloons against that cool hatched background ... and what gorgeous butterflies you've turned them into! The smooshy colours are scrumptious ... the sentiment is wonderful ... and it's so deliciously CAS! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great designs, Heidi! Your heart balloons are so sweet and the background looks fabulous! What a brilliant idea to create butterflies from the hearts! Love the watercolored wings!
    Thanks for joining us at the Twofer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so clever using the hearts as the butterfly wings, and great colour combos. Both cards are so sweet.
    thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful take on the Twofer challenge. I like your light touch on your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing way to use those hearts die cuts, and the smooshed distress inks are gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More and we hope to see more of your beautiful creations again!n Hugs Gwendolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, These two cards are so pretty. What a brilliant idea to use the hearts as butterfly wings! Gotta remember to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love both creations! So creative! So pretty! Love your design and that color is perfect! So happy you could share this with us at Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes w/ Dies Challenge and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two wonderfully beautiful and different heart card designs, Heidi. So pleased you added your 2nd card in our CAS Watercolour Challenge. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at PINspirational, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, well done, Heidi! I adore your pretty heart balloons floating in the clouds, along with a perfect sediment and great background!! And how cool are those beautiful butterflies made from hearts?! Such an absolute delight perched on either side of your sensational copper verse rectangle!! Thank you so much for rocking the challenge at Twofer #2!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your butterfly wings are gorgeous, Heidi! I love how the colors blended! Very creative use of hearts! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards! So soft and pretty.Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both cards are so pretty and how clever to create a butterfly with those hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the color of your bflies so adorable
    great sentiment choice too
    sweet cards you made
    Many thanks for joining us at ATSM this time
    sorry for the late comment :)
    hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both cards are beautiful Heidi!! Lovely color mix and design! Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Cardmakers. x

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments or questions.